Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I would like to have Funtoo

I am a gentoo fanboi, but I heard about Funtoo a while ago which is a different variant of gentoo, like Sabayon and also Google's ChromeOS according to http://www.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/02/google-goes-with-gentoo-portag.html. Both are from the same creator, Daniel Robbins. To me it seems that the major difference is that the portage tree is stored in git of which I am also a fanboi. I will be getting a new laptop soon and I am considering making the switch to Funtoo. I will post my experiences here.

2 comments:

  1. So I never had the opportunity to install funtoo, because it's work policy to either use Windows or Ubuntu or openSUSE. I picked openSUSE. I have been using it for almost a year now and it has started to grow on me. I did however uninstall Gnome 3 in favour of KDE 4.9 using the kde, kde-extra and kde-telepathy repositories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, when I get tired of Minut, I'll try archlinux a go.  I like the idea of the clean slate, that you can soil and pollute just the way you like.  He-he, maybe they should have called it virginix :-)

    ReplyDelete