Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Disqus - revisit

Right, so it's been a while since we last discussed, Disqus (see what I did there).

Original post: Disqus is pissing me off

And let me save you from any sort of suspense you may have regarding whether my feelings have changed: they have not. That is why my vote is to: drop it. As soon as possible.

As highlighted in that post, there are issues surrounding administering Whaleventures / Disqus while logged into your own, personal Disqus/Google accounts. There are issues where the thing marks innocent comments as spam. It forces the revealing of firstnames and lastnames, and our resident incognito users don't like that. Then you've got the issue where you can't embed links. Oh, don't forget the issue with code formatting. It seems you need to be a Disqus formatting guru to get it to preserve whitespace.

I have exported our comments as of this moment (2012-05-09 19:50), and they provide you with a nice XML file. The content of the XML file looks straightforward enough. If we get consensus, I will figure out a way to re-import our old comments back into whatever new system we choose, even if I have to generate each of you your own customized python script or whatever with your comments in it.

So, who's with me? Are we gonna drop Disqus?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, let's switch back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing I don't like about Disqus: It seems to place newer comments at the top of the "branch" that was replied to. This causes the chronology of the comments to be weird and confusing.

    ReplyDelete